Ground Bison Tacos
We’re so excited to be gearing up for summer! As much as we love a good BBQ, sometimes you need to shake up dinner plans!
Of all our cuts of bison, ground bison has to be the most versatile and easy-to-cook product we carry. From pasta to burgers to tacos, ground bison works for so many amazing meals. It cooks up exactly like ground beef and is a healthy lean option for those quick weeknight meals!
Today we’re breaking down some super easy Bison Tacos, and giving you some amazing bonus recipes! We love a good pickled onion on our tacos (don’t judge! you have to try them first!), a bright and zesty Pico De Galo, and a refreshing Avocado Cilantro cream to finish it all off. It’s as delicious as it sounds. And easier than you’d ever imagine!
Let's start off with our meat!
Ground Bison Taco Meat Seasoning
Remember to be prepping your sides or other condiments while your bison meat is cooking!
- 2 lbs ground bison
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup water or stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- cayenne to taste if you want some kick!
*tip: if you’re looking to add a bit of depth to the flavour of this mix, consider adding a splash of Fish Sauce! No, it's not crazy! Fish Sauce has a deep umami character and brights out amazing flavours in your food when used sparingly!
Heat a skillet over medium. Add your olive oil, and once the pan is hot add in your ground bison. (Adding a bit of oil to the bison will help it cook more efficiently! Because Bison is so lean it needs a helping hand sometimes with extra cooking fats!)
Meanwhile, combine all your spices in a small bowl and mix to combine. Do make sure you find smoked paprika to bring out that smokey flavour! Regular paprika just doesn’t cut it!
When your ground bison is almost browned through, add your spices and mix.
Continue cooking until your ground meat is fully cooked through. Add your water at the end and mix through if you’d like to add a bit of sauce to your ground mixture.
Don’t run away at the thought of pickling! It couldn’t be easier and we LOVE making our own pickled onions at home. They’re the perfect addition to your salads, sandwiches and especially tacos!
Makes about 2 cups of pickled onions, and will stay good in the fridge for 2 weeks!
- 2 red onions, halved and sliced into approximately ⅛” pieces
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups of hot water
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
1. Thinly slice your red onions, and pack them tightly into a sealing glass jar.
2. Heat your water in a pan on the stove until it begins to boil. Add your vinegars, salt, sugar and mustard seeds, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.
3. Once dissolved, carefully pour your hot liquid over your packed onions. Cover the onions completely. You can use a spoon to push your mustard seeds around if they get caught at the top of the jar. You may have extra vinegar liquid depending on the size of your jar and how tightly your onions are packed in.
4. Cool to room temperature on the counter, and then transfer to the fridge. You can eat them right away, or store them for later!
Pico De Galo
This bright salsa is the perfect addition to your tacos!
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded well, finely chopped (use less if you don’t prefer spicy salsa!)
- ⅓ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Chop up all of your ingredients and combine everything in a bowl together!
Avocado Cilantro Cream
A refreshing finish to your delicious dinner and so easy to whip up if you have a food processor handy!
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
- small handful of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all your ingredients to a food processor and process until you’re happy with the consistency! Add a tbsp of water at a time at the end to adjust how thick your cream sauce is.
There you have it! We loved our tacos on real corn tortillas but you can use whatever tortillas you prefer! We love adding big chunks of avocado and iceberg lettuce as well!
We hope you enjoyed reading through this post! If you make your own Bison Tacos at home, make sure you tag us in your photos so we can see what you make! We love seeing you enjoy your products from Copper Flats! Cheers! David+Lia